Thursday, September 22, 2011

Blog 3: Response to "Hype".

          The purpose of the passage "Hype" is to show the reader how toxic and polluting advertising has become to our brains. The author emphasizes the fact that advertising can be found everywhere nowadays. For example, if your filling up your car with gas, you might find an ad on the nozzle. Or for instance if you're driving down the road you'll see nothing but billboards. I agree with the writer Kalle Lasn and can relate in many ways.
         One of the reasons why I agree with the writer is because I find myself surrounded by plenty advertisements on a daily basis. From the time I wake up and turn on the television, there's nothing but ads on commercials. When I sit at my table to have a bowl of cereal I look at the box and find ads on the back and sides of it. If I walk outside and take the train, ill look up and she ads from a product or show opening up soon. Even the metro-cards that we sometimes buy bring ads on the back.
        From the experience I have as a broadcasting student, I can say that media uses many different techniques to dump marketing messages in to the consumers brain unconsciously. Media uses, tone, music, colors and hidden techniques to catch our attention. They often associate the shows on TV to the commercials following it. For instance, if we're watching a horror movie they might show commercials for another horror movie soon to be shown in theaters or other horror shows, or they might even show a commercial about house security because they know you're vulnerable at the moment. They often also use subliminal messages to deliver us information without making it too obvious.
        The passage states that "There is nowhere to run. No one is exempt and no one will be spared". Goes to show the severity of the situation and the fact that no matter where we go we will continue to see ads everywhere and no matter how much we try to avoid them they will remain a part of society and continue to play a big role in our lives.


     

1 comment:

  1. Tania, while it would need to be polished, in terms of development this is a passing essay

    ReplyDelete